July 4th Frontier Days Celebration and Parade 2011
Update as of June 23, 2011: Due to drought conditions The City of Round Rock has decided to postpone the 4th of July Fireworks display. The fireworks show will be rescheduled to coincide with the annual Christmas Family Night celebration on Dec. 9. All other Fourth of July activities will go on as planned.
“Drought conditions in our area have forced us to reschedule the fireworks portion of our celebration, but we’re not going to let this hamper our traditional celebration here in Round Rock,” said Rick Atkins, City of Round Rock Parks and Recreation Director. “We’ll move ahead in celebrating our nation’s freedom with a full day and night of Frontier Days entertainment and we hope our residents will come out and join us.”
For more information please visit http://www.roundrocktexas.gov/home/index.asp?page=10&recordid=2334
A jalapeno pepper eating contest, Sam Bass Shootout, Cowboy Music Sing-A-Long, Duck Races, Skydivers and Fireworks are all part of the City of Round Rock’s July 4th Frontier Days Celebration and Parade 2011.
Kicking off the celebration at 10:00 a.m. is the annual 4th of July Parade through downtown Round Rock. Check out some pictures from the 2010 Frontier Days parade.
After the parade, guests are invited to Old Settlers Park for the Frontier Days Celebration beginning at 12:00 p.m. to enjoy vendor booths, pony rides, a pepper eating contest, skydivers, duck races, culinary delights and reenactments of the historic Sam Bass Shootout.
Independence Day celebrations will begin at 7:00 p.m. with free watermelon at the Lakeview Pavilion served by the Round Rock City Council and the Parks & Recreation Department. Next, a skydiver will fly into the festivities. Guests will be treated to music from the Austin Symphonic Band.
Immediately following the celebration will be Movies in the Park with showings of Iron Man 2 at the Lakeview Pavilion and Despicable Me at the Rabb Pavilion.
For more information please contact Roger Heaney at email@example.com or call 512-341-3361. You can also visit the city website for a detailed schedule of activities here – http://roundrocktexas.gov/home/index.asp?page=631
All the activities at Old Settlers Park means lots of people – who, in turn, create lots of traffic. Please be patient and expect delays. We’ll be using the same traffic plan as last year to make exiting the park as efficient as possible after the fireworks show.
- People parked North of Lakeview Pavilion will have to exit to the North.
- People parked South of the Pavilion will have to exit to the South.
- County Road 113 will be one-way west bound from FM1460 to Harold Parkway once the fireworks begin. (The City will mailresidents in the CR113 area details of the plan.)
- County Road 113 from Aten Loop to County Road 122 will be east bound only when the fireworks begin.
- Please be prepared for some traffic congestion at the Celebration and be patient. Plan your schedule accordingly. The City wants people to enjoy the event but some traffic congestion is inevitable. A relaxed, understanding attitude can help make everything run smoothly and safely.
- Please be on the watch for pedestrians, especially children. The Celebration is a popular event for families who will be returning to their cars or homes in the dark as motorists are trying to exit the park. Drive carefully and be alert.
- Please pay attention to Round Rock Parks and Recreation employees who will be directing traffic into the Celebration and park only in designated areas. Parking in a non-designated area may mean your car will be blocked in as traffic begins leaving or it could be towed during the Celebration.
- Please do not park on the side of the road or rubberneck to watch the fireworks. Cars on the side of road or driving slowly add to the traffic congestion and are a hazard. Car engines can ignite dry grass and cause brush fires as well.
- Please avoid reckless driving. Cutting across medians, tailgating, passing on the shoulder, etc. increases traffic congestion and endangers motorists.
- Dogs are not allowed at the Celebration. If you have a dog in your car, you will not be allowed in the park.
- No personal fireworks are allowed in the park.
- Please pay attention to officers directing traffic after the Celebration. Review the above traffic routes and be aware of where you need to go to get out. The Round Rock Police Department will have a large number of officers to help direct the exiting traffic.
Click on the map icon below for directions to Old Settlers Park.[mappress mapid="181"]